Tuesday, July 11, 2006

It's Hip To Be Square!

This week in my Heritage Challenge at Scrap Artist ... we are using squares (at least 10!) to scrap heritage pictures. This is a 2-page layout I paper-scrapped a couple of years ago. Then last year, I re-created it digitally but was never happy with the paper selection. But I found Iron Orchid Designs Sweet 'n' Trashy papers and I thought they were perfect and I am finally happy with the layout. This is my grandma. I miss her a lot! In case you're interested in what some of the journaling reads ... it is a sort of poem-type journaling about everything I remember about Grandma.
I remember Grandma … It's funny how you remember people that you knew as a child. Many of the things I remember most about Grandma Kent have to do with food! I remember eating ice cream cones with all of my cousins in Grandma's back yard. It would always be vanilla and you never knew what color the cone would be. It might be red or yellow or even green. I remember big Thanksgiving dinners and how Grandma never seemed to mind when I only wanted the whipped cream and not the pumpkin pie she had made for dessert. I remember eating blueberries in milk with a little sugar on top. I remember her cabinet in the kitchen with an endless supply of breakfast cereal. Most cereals were the non-sugar coated kind, but Grandma supplied plenty of sugar to add by the spoonful. I remember drinking lots of red pop. And I remember that Grandma never ate with us. She was always wandering around during meals to make sure that everyone had what they needed. Besides all of the times that revolved around food, I also remember lots of other great times spent with Grandma. I remember that Grandma had very thin hair and wore a wig. At night she would take it off and put it on one of her wig heads in her bedroom. I found this very interesting. Sometimes I would see Grandma putting on her makeup and I remember watching her use her eyebrow pen and thinking that was pretty neat. I remember that even though Grandma was a large woman, she could still bend over with her legs straight and put her palms all the way down on the floor. I remember going to the Saginaw Zoo and Grandma taking my picture in the big whale's mouth. I remember that Grandma was diabetic and always had lots of pills to take. She kept them in a pill box labeled with the days of the week. One of the favorite things that I remember is a trip in 1981. Grandma and Grandpa drove me and Paul from our house in Texas all the way up to Dad's house in Ohio. It was raining really hard as we got close to Dad's house and I remember Grandma kept telling Grandpa, "Don't fall off the road, Dad!" It was really funny. The last thing that I remember about Grandma is seeing her just a few months before she died. She had lost a lot of weight and her spirit was fading but I remember that she still loved me. Grandma was such a wonderful lady. I was lucky to know her until I was almost 23 years old. I remember that Grandma was very patient and loved all of us unconditionally. I remember that Grandma was loved by me … I remember Grandma.

3 comments:

  1. Wow what an amazing layout. I've done squares before but never considered squares with pictures in it too. I love that idea... awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so awesome! what a clever design, colorful and so vintage at the same time. I LOVE IT!!!! I hope you will be submitting this it is a WINNER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:15 PM

    Thank you so much for the beautiful kit!! Very generous and very much appreciated.....

    ReplyDelete